Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Page 17 of 18 < 1 2 15 16 17 18 >
Topic Options
#106360 - 06/24/24 08:07 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Jim F]
Marmot John Offline

Loc: Earth
Jim, first off thanks for the update, I was up there also around the same time of your earlier June trip, we turned back at the stretch of cables with the mound of snow that made me a bit nervous.

Has that segment melted at all? I encountered a hiker that said there's so many holes going into the side next to the rock that he felt like it was going to break off. Any truth to this observation? And did you use any traction going over this stretch? (I'm assuming we are talking no more than 10 steps still).

#106361 - 06/24/24 01:16 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Marmot John]
Jim F Online

Loc: California
John,

You note, "the stretch of cables with the mound of snow that made me a bit nervous." Well, it made me nervous, too! On June 22, the geometry of that specific location seemed about the same as on June 13. Of course, the friction coefficients there are continually changing during the day.

A punch through and fall into one of the holes currently between the mound and the wall would be at most 4-5 feet. But on to what surface ?, sharp rocks, fractured icicles? And extraction (self rescue) from the refrigerator might not be easy, even if one were to experience a "soft landing."

I went over the mound with extreme focus and put on micro spikes for the key five to ten steps. (The shoes I was hiking with, alone provided pitiful traction.)

Some years, early on hikers establish a consensus path between the wall and the mound of snow and a deep trench is quickly established. Thereafter, passage is essentially risk free, even if intoxicated.

On the Mountain and in other endeavors it is often a challenge to avoid being lured by "group think" ie, everyone else is doing it and even taking "selfies." Assessing and acting independently can take strength and might allow one to have less occasion to actually end up having to be involved in true crisis management.

Indeed, for many the Mt Whitney experience forces an engagement with the field of Philosophy, which can be both interesting and exciting!

Jim

#106362 - 06/25/24 05:09 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Jim F]
RunningKoi Offline

Loc: Chicago
Thanks for the additional insight on the "mound" Jim and MJ. Do any of you have a picture of this challenge? Since it is my first time on MtW, can't quite fathom the extent of this stretch. As always preparation is key to success so try to do my due diligence smile TIA

#106364 - 06/25/24 07:55 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Jim F]
Marmot John Offline

I go back up there in about a week and a half and am really crossing my fingers it's a bit less spooky. I was highly disappointed in myself for not attempting and was back down at Trail Camp practicing the crossing technique on a similar snow patch, but we never went back up.

I saw some pictures and video of it this morning and it seems just one or two eager beavers with shovels could rid this area of this patch of snow in about 15 minutes, but I suspect there would be an extreme danger below for falling rocks if someone were to do this. (I heard a story of someone with a shovel years back that stirred a ton of controversy, so this idea of mine is probably not a good one.)

#106365 - 06/25/24 09:06 AM Re: 2024 [Re: RunningKoi]
Marmot John Offline

Originally Posted By RunningKoi
Thanks for the additional insight on the "mound" Jim and MJ. Do any of you have a picture of this challenge? Since it is my first time on MtW, can't quite fathom the extent of this stretch. As always preparation is key to success so try to do my due diligence smile TIA

Here's a video I found posted from the spot on Sunday morning, June 23rd.

Video of Cables 6/23/24

#106366 - 06/25/24 12:38 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Marmot John]
RunningKoi Offline

Loc: Chicago
This is great, gives me some perspective. I planning to hike on Sunday night so I can definitely report out on the status. Thanks again!

#106369 - 06/26/24 06:25 AM Re: 2024 [Re: RunningKoi]
Richard P. Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest, CA
One more thing to think about...
We're in T-Storm season now...
2 of the last 3 hikes/altitude workouts have had light/sound shows and plenty of rain showers...
(Soaked to the bone at 12k yesterday because I was too lazy to get the rain gear out of the pack...it was OK because I was dry within a hour of the storm's passing.)

#106370 - 06/26/24 07:15 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Marmot John Offline

Richard do you consider Trail Camp a "safe" area if thunderstorms are coming? We tend to try to spend two days up there after first acclimating at Outpost, but it feels so wide open up there. Been lucky so far with only one strong storm hitting when we were at Outpost but was curious on a safety scale, how dangerous it is up at the second camp.

#106371 - 06/26/24 07:45 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Marmot John]
Doug Sr Offline

Loc: Whitney
Heads up fire somewhere north smoke coming over the crest .I would suggest wait till the clear air returns.Check the webcam for smoke coming in .

#106372 - 06/27/24 04:45 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Marmot John]
Richard P. Offline

I don't know how to anwser this question. I'd be more concerned about my tent blowing away in a wind storm than I would be about a lightning strike...

#106373 - 06/27/24 04:54 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Richard P. Offline

...and throwing in a little bit more of my opinions...rather than spending 3 days on the mountain, I'd think about acclimatizing elsewhere and maybe add a couple of days and do Horseshoe Meadow to WP, or Onion Valley to WP instead...

If I were to spend an extended time (more than 1 day) on the mountain, it would be on the north side where the crowds are less and the scenery is "better"...

#106374 - 06/27/24 07:13 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
Elaine M. Offline

Loc: United States
I and a couple of friends summitted 6/24 smile We left trail camp at 4 am, crossed the cornice at around 5:30 am when it was icy without using microspikes (but did have hiking poles for supports), and made it to trail crest by 6:30 am. We summitted by 8:45 am, and headed back down at 9:30 am. Timing things in this way was great for making sure we could get back down to trail camp before the T-storms hit (we figured somewhere between noon and 2pm, hail ended up starting at 2 pm).
Crossing the cornice at around noon without microspikes was sketchy because it had turned soft and slick. One person in our group slipped onto her bottom at the top of the mound, but luckily slid along the correct direction and ended up back onto the trail. That was terrifying to watch. The next person to cross put on microspikes, used trekking poles for support, and had a much easier time of it.
Another point - I spent the night before at Lone Pine but wish I had stayed at Whitney Portal for acclimatization. Our group brought a pulse oximeter along during the hike, and when we got to trailside meadow my reading had dropped to 80. Pulse oximeters aren't very accurate in the 80 - 90 range and my symptoms weren't bad (some shortness of breath, irritability), so I decided to take 125 mg of Diamox (half the dose I was prescribed) and continue on to trail camp with the group. I felt a lot happier about 4 hrs later, and by 4 am the next morning my reading was up to 93. I'm a fairly healthy person, do a lot of endurance training, and have not had trouble on previous 10k - 12k elevation hikes, so this situation really caught me by surprise. Figured I'd share in case it helps others plan their trip.

#106375 - 06/27/24 07:28 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Elaine M.]
Marmot John Offline

Elaine altitude sickness seems to be one of the biggest hiker mysteries of the universe! We've been on hikes where we go up beyond 12k and were perfectly fine, then three weeks later we go somewhere and have issues at 10k. There's a lot of theories (lack sleep, hydration) on it but we follow the same routine and sometimes it hits, sometimes it misses. I often use diamox but I absolutely hate the effects when I come off it (it hits me about 5 days later and starts with extreme fatigue, vision changes and nausea). I just "de-diamoxed" myself only to now turn around next week and...take it again to go back up. I'm a little nervous about that spot on the cables (I saw a video of someone sliding down) and it appears that someone with a shovel or ice axe could literally get rid of that hump in 15 minutes!)

Richard, I appreciate the ideas. We do a lot of hiking in the region (not as much as you, but we love your photos!) and we absolutely love Outpost camp, a few weeks ago we had the camp to ourselves for an entire day, was the first time that's ever happened. We're doing OV later in the season but our first love is the path from the portal (done it a "few" times).

#106376 - 06/27/24 01:05 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
ssmark Offline

Loc: CA
Shoot. Was very clear around 10:30 am, now seems very hazy/smoky. Will continue to watch and take any onsite updates. Planned hike from Whitney Portal 6/29.

#106377 - 06/27/24 08:46 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
Jesse Redding Offline

Loc: United States
Is anyone planning on doing mt tyndall summit early next week? I think I'm headed up there but am probably going to have to go solo! I've never done the summit but am hoping there might be some other people in the area:) Or any tips/suggestions for the summit? thanks!!

#106378 - 06/28/24 09:03 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Jesse Redding]
Jim F Online

Loc: California
Jesse,

Concerning your early season Mt Tyndall attempt next week (the first week of July), I assume your approach will be the Shepherd Pass Trail. I ascended Tyndall twenty years ago (2004) in the first week of July. My notes confirm a persistent recollection of the Shepherd Pass Trail then:

Just before the Shepherd Pass Trail tops out at the Pass, there is a lingering steep snow field that the trail crosses from right to left. The snow terminates at rocks far below. On my descent, the weather had turned cold (hail) . The snow had become very hard and was a cause for concern. In fact, in 2023 a hiker slipped crossing it and broke his leg.

It would be appreciated if you can give an update on this crossing next week.

Jim

PS: I have tried climbing the rock above the snow field to bypass, but had no luck carrying an overnight pack. Later in the summer, typically the snow is nearly gone.

#106379 - 06/28/24 10:47 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Jim F]
Richard P. Offline

Jin's post reminded me of the 4th of July (2003) trip with Rockwell and friends...

Snow wasn't an issue for us...it had melted out...Someone with better recollection than me might be able to compare '03 with '24...

Since I like making guesses, I'd guess the pass isn't an issue anymore...wish I had looked up as I was passing by last Friday afternoon...

#106382 - 07/01/24 04:45 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
EricM Offline

Loc: Ca SJV
Summited 6/30. Excellent conditions to the top. Vast majority of people are no longer using micro-spikes anywhere on trail. Entering Outpost Camp, Lone Pine Creek can be crossed using logs just upstream from the trail crossing; hiker left on the ascent. The smaller tributary immediately after Outpost is a manageable rock hop. Be cautious of ice along the path as you enter the cables; this ice melts in the afternoon and the trail is covered in water. The cables are fully passable. It’s a narrow path, but (99%) snow free nonetheless. Small section of snow near the summit. Manageable without spikes, but I did see some use them here. The last decent water source I recall was the stream running in the early stages of the switchbacks; there are a few small trickles up higher, but they’re a meager muddy mess. Pretty much clear sailing both ways.

#106383 - 07/01/24 04:47 PM Re: 2024 [Re: EricM]
EricM Offline

Loc: Ca SJV
Originally Posted By EricM
Summited Whitney 6/30.

#106384 - 07/01/24 06:31 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Richard P. Offline

So, I was up at Horseshow Meadow doing another TP/CP Loop...

Nothing, really, to report, other than the water is drying up...I'd say carry what you need...

As I was dropping my pack at Cottonwood Pass (for a pizza leftovers late lunch), a woman behind me says: "Is that your dog?" (voice wasn't normal - seemed annoyed)...I turn around and she has a Coyote for a companion (seriously, it was following her around)...I look at her at state: "That's a Coyote." It kept following her...

I did run into her again lower down on the CP Trail and the Coyote wasn't with her anymore...

Interesting...a decade ago, I never saw Coyotes up this high...lateley, it's a common occurance...New Army Pass sighting last week...I think they're migrating up to get to a cooler environment...and I bet the Marmots and squirells taste pretty good...

Also, Coyotes are usually really shy (probably not the best choice of word) ...bizarre that this one seemed to want to be around people...

Page 17 of 18 < 1 2 15 16 17 18 >

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’