Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Page 21 of 22 < 1 2 19 20 21 22 >
Topic Options
#106465 - 08/10/24 07:43 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Doug Sr Offline

Loc: Whitney
I tried to contour South of wright Creek if I recall staying at the 12,000' so slow going I just gave up and went down to the JMT.

#106466 - 08/11/24 09:13 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
paul Offline

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
Wow..... Richard…good hike.

So I have done Junction Pass over a dozen times, with two times descending to the Shephard Pass Trail, then up over Shepherd Pass.

I like to day hike from the junction of the Center Basin and JMT to Junction Pss. The trail, not maintained since 1932 is very visible and easy to follow. The decent to Shepherd Trail is either non-extent or pretty vague.

I've then travelled over Rockwell Pas down to Wright Lakes, then cross countried over to Wallace Creek then either up or down to JMT or Wallace Lake.

The decent of Junction Pass was difficult. At the top, I ended up, side stepping down. Rocks, plants would give way making it dicey until I got to the talus area of the decent.

I found this link a while back:

https://plutoniclove.com/2019/01/01/center-basin-forester-junction-passes-lollipop-via-kearsarge/

When you click on the link, the first picture is of the top of the pass looking toward Williamson and Tyndall. Great picture.

Like Doug, I tried to stay high but the terrain was not easy. I ended up heading down Wright Creek to where the trees start and contoured over to Wallace Creek....much easier.

Paul

#106467 - 08/11/24 10:06 AM Re: 2024 [Re: paul]
Richard P. Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest, CA
Thanks Paul.

After thinking about it, I'm not in the mood to do another high-mileage, off-trail excursion so soon, so...

I picked up a Kearsarge Pass Permit for a Wednesday start...I decided I'm going to give a high-mileage, on-trail, 2-day trip a try this time...I'm going to carry 3 days of food (same as last trip), and tent and pad (skipped both last trip...I wanted really light...). This direction gets me one closer to 200...

Then I can start thinking about NoBo, north of Glen Pass...

#106468 - 08/12/24 08:07 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Jim F Offline

Loc: California
Richard,

Really enjoyed the TR of your August 6-7 adventure. I almost crossed paths with you. On August 9 my youngest daughter, her husband, and I hiked from Crabtree Meadow to Mt Whitney and then down to the Whitney Portal Store for dinner and a nice conversation with Doug, Doug, and Mya.

Concerning the subsequent topic on how to descend Junction Pass going south on the Old JMT: Refer to the TR by Plutonic Love that Paul mentions. Descending the Pass where it really starts getting steep and loose, , Plutonic Love found a level trail well above the bottom of the deep gully. She has a nice photo of this trail, but notes, " Unfortunately....the use trail soon petered out." Actually, SHE ABANDONED THIS TRAIL TOO EARLY! If she had continued on around the corner of the small prominence a few yards away in the photo, she would have seen that the level trail continued on. Thereafter it comes and goes and the points of resumption are often marked by meticulously place cairns (as of my most recent passage in 2020).

Bottom line: The OLD JMT stays out of the gully and travels high on the side of the slope, finally descending (by a few switchbacks with decent footing) to the end of the gully near a small waterfall. Following it requires focus and some exciting (in my opinion) detective work.

Looking forward to a report on your next adventure.

Jim

#106469 - 08/13/24 03:23 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Jim F]
paul Offline

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
Jim nailed it on the descent.

The one thing that I noticed upon my decent is that the old trail passes right under a granite protrusion that is perpendicular to the old trail. when descending focus on this structure and angle to just below it.

At that point, I found small sections of the trail still visible. With that in mind, I calculated the decent angle and nailed it as the trail approaches the bottom of the canyon where the canyon narrows, and a stream appears.

From there the trail parallels the stream for a short distance. Where the trail and stream meet, I turned right to some bushes that hid the trail. At that point I encountered a series of switchbacks down to a flat area. From there I could see the Shepherd Pass trail. I continued down the slope, periodically crossing old remnants of the old trail.

Luckily when I reached the creek (surrounded by heavy bushes which I forced my way through) on the other side was a connecting trail to the main Shepherd Pass Trail.

From there it was about an hour of hiking to Shepherd Pass.

BobR once suggested that I climb the peak at the pass, I believe Mt Keith…I didn’t have time, but looked interesting.

Paul

#106470 - 08/13/24 03:38 PM Re: 2024 [Re: paul]
Richard P. Offline

Thanks guys...

I'm sticking to trail this trip, but all of this sounds interesting for an end of season (if not burned out) outing...(packed and ready..adding the pad and a 2+ lbs. tent that Nemo sent me didn't make the pack feel much heavier, so I'll be heading out optomistic...)

Speedy and I climbed Keith...
On the opposite side (towards Big Willy) is Polychrome...I climbed it when I didnt't feel like climbing Willy on one of the trips back there...The approach to the peak reminded me (wild imagination) of Stonehenge...

#106471 - 08/13/24 04:47 PM Re: 2024 [Re: paul]
Doug Sr Offline

Loc: Whitney
Now the rest of the story on the why we worked to get the Alabama Hills as a National Scenic Area.

You know those books you dropped off...well the one with the pictures covering Yosemite? Ya that's how it stared we get this letter from a person that thought something should be done to protect the hills , he didn't say much other than it was his favorite area for photos , his father is Josef Muench the author of the book you dropped off. Oh and the letter was sent to our senator , it was a wake up call if someone was to do something to us or for us we should step up and be a part of the program.
Fast forward 25 years and with the help of many great people and working with the BLM to move the process forward it happened
So thanks for the book again great seeing you and the the doc thing went well,3-4 months and will get a minor surgery. Until then do what I am doing now.

#106472 - 08/14/24 02:09 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
Jim F Offline

HIGH SIERRA TRAIL AUG 6-9, 2024

My youngest daughter and her husband recently flew in from Pittsburgh to guide me on a hike of the High Sierra Trail. It would be my daughter's fifth thru-hike of this remarkable trans-Sierra trail from the Biggest Trees in Giant Forest to the Highest Mountain, Mt Whitney.

The hiking conditions were excellent. The temps were warm, even at night. Air quality was superb and the smoke we feared never materialized. The skies were mostly clear and we tolerated well a quickly passing storm (45 minutes of rain) on the third day. Very few mosquitos were encountered.

No snow lingered on the trail. Creeks were already running low and easy to walk across. The log jam seen last summer at the damaged bridge over the Kern River had been released. A large bear was seen easily crossing the Kern upriver from the bridge. No efforts have been made to repair the collapsed roof of the Big Arroyo Patrol Cabin.

Only a handful of hikers were encountered during the 34 mile segment between the Hamilton Lakes and the junction with the JMT. Our campsites were at Precipice Lake (one other camper), Kern Hot Springs (two other campers), and Crabtree Meadow (an overflow crowd at the campsite).

We saw seven bears, several snakes, Martens, bats, as well as the usual collection of marmots, pikas, and deer. On the Chagoopa Plateau, there were thousands of inhabited ant hills and we wondered what supported such a large population.

We felt very fortunate to spend time together in such a special place. The hike ended with a fine dinner at the Whitney Portal Store and the hospitality of three generations of Thompsons.

After the hike, we drove up into the White Mountains to visit the Schulman Grove of Ancient Bristlecone Pines and enjoyed the Grand View to the west of the massive Eastern Sierra Escarpment.

Jim

#106473 - 08/16/24 07:09 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Jim F]
Richard P. Offline

Your mention of amimals reminded me that we now have a Summit Pika on Whitney...I've seen it scurrying around on the last two summits...I haven't seen the Summit Marmot in a few trips up...

There must have been a big change in weather in the past week...I was cold (at Wallace Creek) in my 40 degree bag...side note: it was very crowded there...

And, there was ice forming at The Cables...

On a positive note: all of the stream crossings between OV and Whitney were trivial...

#106474 - 08/16/24 08:35 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Richard P. Offline

Onion Valley To Whitney Portal - 08.14-15.2024
========================================

Does Medicare pay for Sports Psychologists???
Lack of motivation on day 2 resulted in No Burger at the WPS...

It was a "fun" (you know how Sufferfests can be fun) 2 days...but I won't be doing this anymore...

Remembering that there isn't anything boring (scenery-wise) on the OV-WP hike...

Meeting a few people who stand out...the British guy doing 25 days on the JMT (in spite of having some mobility issues) and the couple I met at the Water Stop Rock at Whitney Creek...they had done Rockwell Pass, Tawny Point and the Wright Lakes...odd how these things happen...

Here are a few photos:

I haven't dropped down there in a really long time...Kearsarge Pass view west.

A lot of dead, blow-downs...

Forester Pass view north.

Forester Pass view south.

Whitney comes into view...notice the moon overhead...

Evening glow.

View down from the West Side Switchbacks.

(Ugly photo of me) Doug, you sure you wanted this photo?
It was too heavy to do an overhead selfie...
There was nobody else on the summit...

Anybody have any comments/suggestions for Kearsarge Pass NoBo to either Bishop Pass, or Piute Pass?

#106475 - 08/16/24 05:14 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
h_lankford Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA

Anybody have any comments/suggestions for Kearsarge Pass NoBo to either Bishop Pass, or Piute Pass?

Richard
Not NOBO but SOBO Bishop to Kearsarge starting Sept 7.
As you know I am slow.
Did this 64 mile route in 2009 as a 3 nighter. Will take 6 this time

#106476 - 08/16/24 07:28 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Jim F Offline

Richard,

Thanks for the beautiful photos with all the clear skies.

Note that one photo has Rockwell Pass, Mt Whitney, and the Moon in alignment.

As you continue to progress up the JMT note: Per conversations I had with hikers in the Evolution Basin on July 17, the San Joaquin River below Evolution Valley has become easy to walk across. Also since then possibly some sort of temporary bridge has been built. So it is no longer necessary to bypass this area due to the bridge collapse two winters ago.

We saw the Mt Whitney summit marmot on August 9, so all is well.

Jim

#106477 - 08/17/24 08:43 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Jim F]
Richard P. Offline

So, I'm thinking OV to North Lake over 6 days, but dread the thought of the weight 6 days of food will add to the load...plus the heavier, warmer sleeping bag...

Have a good trip Doc...

Jim, when I talked with Anthony (NPS Trail Crew), he told me the bridge repair had been contracted out, but didn't know whether it made the '24 or '25 budget...he also said it was an easy ford...it would be cool if there's a temporary bridge.

Speaking of Trail Crews: Vidette Meadow and the south side of Forester had crews working...

Glad to hear the Summit Marmot is OK...There was one at the Junction snooping thru packs that I had to chase off...

#106478 - 08/17/24 12:17 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Dale Dalrymple Offline

#106479 - 08/18/24 04:40 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Dale Dalrymple]
Richard P. Offline

Thanks Dale...

For planning, I tried a ChatBot...6 days...OV to N. Lake...

Absolutely! Let's delve deeper into each day of the hike from Onion Valley to North Lake. We'll cover specific landmarks, elevation changes, camping spots, and additional tips.

Detailed Itinerary:
Day 1: Onion Valley to Junction with John Muir Trail
Distance: Approximately 9.2 miles

Elevation Gain: ~2,600 feet to Kearsarge Pass (11,760 feet)

Highlights:

Kearsarge Pass: This pass offers breathtaking panoramic views of the Sierra Nevada.

Gilbert Lake and Flower Lake: These alpine lakes are perfect spots for a short break.

Camping Options: Near Kearsarge Lakes or Charlotte Lake. These areas offer serene settings and are ideal for your first night.

Day 2: Junction with John Muir Trail to Rae Lakes
Distance: Approximately 15 miles

Elevation: Varied terrain with some ascents and descents.

Highlights:

Rae Lakes: These stunning alpine lakes are among the most picturesque spots on the trail.

Glen Pass: This pass offers breathtaking views and is a notable landmark.

Camping Options: Designated campsites around Rae Lakes. This area is popular among hikers, so it's advisable to arrive early to secure a good spot.

Day 3: Rae Lakes to Woods Creek Crossing

Elevation: Mostly descending.

Highlights:

Suspension bridge at Woods Creek: This is a unique and fun feature along the trail.

Scenic views of Woods Creek Valley: The descent offers beautiful vistas.

Camping Options: Campsites near Woods Creek Crossing. This is a great spot to rest and prepare for the next day's ascent.

Day 4: Woods Creek Crossing to Palisade Lakes

Elevation Gain: Significant ascent to Pinchot Pass (12,130 feet).

Highlights:

Pinchot Pass: Offers expansive views of the surrounding peaks.

Palisade Lakes: These high-altitude lakes are incredibly scenic and a perfect spot for camping.

Camping Options: Near Palisade Lakes. The area is tranquil and offers stunning sunset views.

Day 5: Palisade Lakes to Evolution Valley

Elevation Gain: Climb to Muir Pass (11,955 feet).

Highlights:

Muir Pass: Features the historic Muir Hut, a shelter built by the Sierra Club in 1930.

Evolution Valley: Known for its serene beauty, meadows, and abundant wildlife.

Camping Options: Near Evolution Creek or McClure Meadow. These spots are ideal for enjoying the peacefulness of the valley.

Day 6: Evolution Valley to Piute Pass to North Lake

Elevation Gain: Climb to Piute Pass (11,423 feet).

Highlights:

Piute Pass: Offers stunning views of the Sierra Nevada.

North Lake: A beautiful alpine lake that marks the end of your journey.

Camping Options: North Lake Campground. This is a convenient spot to rest after completing your hike.

Logistics and Preparation:
Permits: Obtain from the Inyo National Forest. Make sure to secure your permits well in advance as they can be competitive.

Shuttle Services: Arrange transportation between trailheads. Companies like East Side Sierra Shuttle can be helpful.

Gear Recommendations:

Lightweight backpacking gear

Bear canister for food storage (required in many parts of the Sierra Nevada)

High-calorie, lightweight food

Proper clothing for varying weather conditions (layers, rain gear, etc.)

Additional Tips:
Acclimatization: Spend a day or two at a higher altitude before starting your hike to acclimatize.

Water Sources: Water is generally abundant along this route, but always carry a filter or purification tablets.

Trail Conditions: Check trail conditions and weather forecasts before your trip.

Would you like more specific information on any part of the hike, such as detailed maps, gear lists, or nearby services?

Quick read...looks OK...I've got thousands of photos, so I don'think I'll have a problem picking spots for stops...any comments/recommendations will be appreciated...permit is for entry next weekend.

#106480 - 08/18/24 06:25 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Scott M. Offline

Loc: Bishop/Aspendell, CA
Richard,
As one example Day six is garbage on the mileage report. Closer to 21 miles depending where in Evo Valley you start from. Skip the Chat and use the map you know how well to use.
Scott

#106481 - 08/18/24 06:53 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Scott M.]
Scott M. Offline

Loc: Bishop/Aspendell, CA
Day 3 mileage is also junk. Got bored More like 7 miles - not 15.

#106482 - 08/18/24 07:10 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Jim F Offline

To emphasize Scott's points, the combined Days 1, 2, and 3 of ChatBot (whatever that is) should be Day 1 for Richard P. For your safety, I suggest you stay clear of ChatBot. Rather, give Tom Harrison a call (as Scott suggests).

Jim

#106483 - 08/19/24 04:50 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Jim F]
Richard P. Offline

But, the Tech People have been tellibng me that computers are smarter than US...thanks...looks like I got about the same results as HI's query to AI...

I do have GaiaGPS and a few versions of OnXMaps on my phone already...just hate the thought of solar panels and power banks...and paper even more...I usually just head west to the JMT/PCT, or east over the Crest to get home if I get confused...

Until I got old, I'd just walk until dark...but the recent OV to WP proved that i can't do that anymore if I want to Ehjoy The Mountains...

#106484 - 08/19/24 10:21 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Richard P. Offline

Jim, I found a 10 year old Basin Notch description...

Spent this morning on GaiaGPS...

So, I come up to about 93 miles with the first night in the Sixty Lakes Basin...exit to JMT via Basin Notch (only xc)...JMT with exit at Piute Canyon Trail.

Page 21 of 22 < 1 2 19 20 21 22 >

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’