Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#59330 - 03/24/09 04:47 PM Re: Half Dome view from Denair CA [Re: Bee]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bee wrote:
> Do you think that you could please post this on the Yosemite site?

I looked up the Ponzo illusion, and I don't know how or whether it relates to this situation.  Here's an explanation I like:  Experiment in Perception: The Ponzo Illusion and the Moon.  In fact, it kind of boggles my mind.  I thought the sun and moon appeared larger on the horizon due to some sort of lensing effect from the increased atmosphere.  But that effect is what causes the color to change, not the size.  The size issue is apparently an illusion only perceived by our minds.

I am going to try the experiment suggested here:  ( Why sun appers big in size at sunset and sunrise? )  Take a picture at moonrise with my camera zoomed full in, and then again a few hours later. I have to prove to myself that the pixel widths in both pictures are the same.  ...Ok, when is the next full moon?

So for the Ponzo illusion to come into play, we would have to view Half Dome on the horizon, and then again high in the sky. If it holds true, then it would look smaller high in the sky. wink

But you are to be congratulated, Bee, for starting a thread on the Yosemite forum with a record number of posts.  If you want to keep it going, just find a few more disbelievers, and get them to post.   smile   I particularly am impressed by the chorus of fake-callers in this fredmiranda forum.  There are some hilarious quotables posted there.  I didn't even know about the forum until the Museum of Hoaxes web site referred to it.

#59335 - 03/24/09 06:01 PM Re: Half Dome view from Denair CA [Re: ]
Bee Offline

Loc: Northern Ca
[quote=Steve C] I thought the sun and moon appeared larger on the horizon due to some sort of lensing effect from the increased atmosphere.  But that effect is what causes the color to change, not the size.  The size issue is apparently an illusion only perceived by our minds.

What?!!The largeness of the moon is only a color difference??? This TOTALLY blows a lifetime of illusion!!

But you are to be congratulated, Bee, for starting a thread on the Yosemite forum with a record number of posts. 

The thread has, ummm, taken on a life of its own...130 posts and counting...I thought that it was gonna die on the disbelievers side, but I have to REALLY thank the Whitney crew (you and Ken) for reviving the validity argument -- thanks so much.

Here is the pic that was taken yesterday by Mike (a FORMER hoaxer-dude):

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/mrcondron/DSC00003.JPG.html

(Are you convinced,yet,Hike of Your Life?) wink

B

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’