Webcam 1 Legend
Mt. Whitney Webcam 2

Webcam 2 Legend
Mt. Whitney Timelapse
Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Mt. Whitney Portal Store Message Board
Re: 2024 by ComradeBear @ Today at 08:22 PM

Slightly higher temperatures this week causing a lot of melt and softer snow. Keep an eye out on weather and temperatures over the next week. Temp aiming to drop at higher elevations which can ice things up!
Re: 2024 by ComradeBear @ Today at 08:11 PM

Hey All! Camped at Portal May 13. Went up Main Route May 14. Camped at Trail Camp. May 15 successful summit and full descent! I've attached a link to my google drive photos/videos of the conditions. Notes: -No Snow first 3 miles up to the Whitney
Re: 5/10/24 Summit story by Brett Williams @ Today at 10:07 AM

Thank You Jim. I appreciate the response. I have been saddened by the recent deaths, hits so close to home, for obvious reasons. I had no idea it was happening all around us as we were about to set off on our journey. I am thankful we knew our limi
Re: 5/10/24 Summit story by Jim F @ Today at 08:34 AM

Brett, Thanks for your detailed TR with valuable photos. It seems this is a "must read" for those heading up in the next couple weeks. Very glad your group all made it back safely to rejoin your families. This week helicopters flew three off the mo
Re: 5/10/24 Summit story by Brett Williams @ Today at 08:12 AM

Thank you Richard! I appreciate your help & insight along the way! it was invaluable to us. appreciate it!
Re: 5/10/24 Summit story by Richard P. @ Today at 03:40 AM

There's a lot to a climb of Whitney...that's why I use lots of dots... Fun read. Congratulations. Yes, you'll never forget your 1st climb of Whitney...my first climb nearly 52 years ago turned me into a Climber...wouldn't trade the Mountain Experien
5/10/24 Summit story by Brett Williams @ Yesterday at 06:25 PM

Hello, I’ve written a long & detailed account of our incredible journey to the summit of mount whitney on 5/10/24. I hope you enjoy. Never thought I could have such a powerful experience. Very thankful. 5/10/24 Mt Whitney Summit Story
Re: 20 years old by Doug Sr @ Yesterday at 02:07 PM

Eric ,Scott et al seems like yesterday , , off to a hard start this year , different times now , trail runners for boots , apps for maps and social media based on click bait and cheer leading . I have a ... start of topic. So lets see if we can ma
Re: Bob Rockwell by PeterR @ Yesterday at 12:29 PM

I was inspired by the thoughtful, intelligent, and detailed writings of Bob Rockwell on this message board over 20 years ago and as a result, I hear the Sierras constant call. Had the pleasure of meeting some guy on a Whitney hike (9/20/2009). Alway
https://news.yahoo.com/falling-rock-kills-hiker-near-105719438.html
Re: 2024 by Doug Sr @ 05/14/24 10:22 AM

Hey great to see you yesterday also for all the photos. One that I like shows the old switchbacks before one of the new routes to the cable area, often you can see the bottom area out of trailcamp. I understand the new trail was to avoid the scree a
Re: 2024 by Richard P. @ 05/14/24 08:01 AM

A few more random comments from yesterday's climb: -Finally a somewhat successful climb...I made it back down before the WPS closing to talk to the Crew...Success only recognized if a burger can be ordered... -Hiked from the Cascade Turn to Mirror
Re: 2024 by Guylaine @ 05/14/24 06:27 AM

Thank you so much - I found the following (http://www.summitpost.com/docs/BobR/Whitney_water_trail.pdf), we will use cautious and stay safe. I appreciate all the info Richard.
Re: 2024 by Jim F @ 05/14/24 06:03 AM

To find Bob's Water Sources documents on this Message Board: Go to the topic WPSMB Member Photo Albums Links, then to Bob R. At the end of his numerous contributions, there are two of is albums, one for water sources for the Main Trail and one for t
Re: 2024 by Richard P. @ 05/14/24 04:17 AM

Adding a little info...there is a Spring flowing a few hundred yards prior to Outpost and also the Cascade at the far end of the camp. If we ask nicely, maybe we can get Jeff M to provide a link to Bob's Water Sources document.
Re: 2024 by Richard P. @ 05/13/24 07:31 PM

The Summit Marmot is out-and-about...Looks pretty fat already...
Re: 2024 by Richard P. @ 05/13/24 07:29 PM

The North Fork today... BTW: more sad news...A climber on the E-Ledges was hit by a rock ...he didn't survive...
Re: 2024 by Richard P. @ 05/13/24 07:25 PM

I got up to Trail Camp later than I wanted to and wasn't willing to give up a summit (in case The Switchbacks didn't go)... Here are a few photos (comments below): Zoom in and you'll see that there is a boot track on the outside of The Cables..
Re: 20 years old by Scott M. @ 05/13/24 04:54 PM

Just a little past Eric - Member #80 checking in and checking the board regularly. Joined 12-28-02. Scott M. in Aspendell/Bishop, CA
Re: 20 years old by Eric @ 05/13/24 11:00 AM

Member #75 checking in! 20 years, wow. Glad we're hanging in. I am planning High Sierra Trail this summer with my 17 year old son, so glad that the forum is still here.
Re: 2024 by Brett Williams @ 05/13/24 09:34 AM

There is running water at trail meadow, about .5 mile from trail camp. I carried 3L in a bladder in my pack and an empty Nalgene bottle. I filled the Nalgene at trail meadow and replenished another 1L in my bladder. This got me to the summit and back
Re: 2024 by Guylaine @ 05/13/24 06:31 AM

Let me know how it goes, we are hiking May 22-25. Happy hiking!
Re: 2024 by Guylaine @ 05/13/24 06:28 AM

Hi Brett - great post, I appreciate it so much. I have permits to hike May 22-25. Based on the below there are enough running water so we don't need to carry extra from portal to outpost?
Re: Conditions On Baldy by Shin @ 05/12/24 05:53 PM

Snow is melting very fast. All chutes in the bowl lost good snow to climb. The trail is dry to Ski hut. One section of trail below Ski hut was blocked off by fallen tree. The massive snow bridges with 4-6 foot deep developed along the creek crossing
Re: 2024 by Brett Williams @ 05/11/24 03:52 PM

Hello, Brett Williams here. I am going to post a new thread w/ photos & a full recap. but my friends and I made the summit yesterday in a very narrow margin. We hit the trail from Whitney Portal trail camp at 2am. We knew we may encounter weather, bu
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’

Lone Pine